Friday, January 4, 2019

Technologically Challenged Millennial

            The term ‘millennial’ doesn’t always insight praise when it comes to generational differences.  We are seen as lazy, distracted, and unmotivated.  However, millennials are also considered increasingly skilled with technology.  While this might be true for many millennials, it is less true regarding me.  Using the Internet is now a staple in education for students my age, not only for social benefits but academic benefits as well.  Millennial culture derives a lot of its momentum from the Internet and other computer-based technology.  My technologically challenged self finds it difficult to measure up at times.
            As challenging as it can be for me to navigate my way around the Internet, I do see enormous benefits regarding educational assistance.  As a student, I use the Internet constantly, but the main way it advances my learning is through the abundance of available resources on an unlimited number of topics.  I can easily access academic journals, online books, and websites which provide an excess of information for completing my homework and papers.  The Internet is a seemingly endless source of information; the tricky part is knowing when the information is faulty and when it’s trustworthy.  Unreliable sites and editable Wikipedia pages tend to be widespread and much easier to find than credible sources.        
            While the Internet is beneficial when used academically, I am also guilty of letting the Internet distract me from learning.  Facebook is a perfect example of a social network that acts as a magnet of distraction in class.  I find it easy to pull up Facebook and browse through the newsfeed during class, ultimately pulling my attention away from the professor.  There is a sense of idleness that I associate with Facebook, that makes it a compelling distraction from the task at hand.  Why pay attention to my professor rambling on about the quantum theory when I can read about the Museum of Medieval Torture in Prague?


            As an aspiring teacher, it’s important to consider the viewpoint of my students on topics such as Internet use.  While I have the ability to see both the positive and negative effects of the Internet on my learning, my students will be naive to the realities associated with easy Internet access.  They might view the Internet as the holy grail of fun and information, ignoring the slippery slope of unlimited and sometimes mindless access to information. As their role model, it will be important for me to encourage them to use the Internet as a productive learning space rather than a source for distracted entertainment.  By teaching them how to judiciously limit their use, they will be able to see both the benefits and disadvantages of using the Internet as a sole source of learning.  In addition, teaching them how to differentiate credible sources from unreliable ones will encourage thoughtful searching over idle scrolling. The primary lesson that needs to be taught isn’t how crippling the Internet can be, but how helpful it can be when used correctly.  I, along with my students, can always use a reminder about the importance of using the Internet as an advantageous tool.  

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the statement about Facebook and idleness and I thought that was very well articulated. during my time using Facebook I found very little value from it and it was of a distraction than anything else. I can't even count how often I see the person sitting in front of me in class on Facebook the whole period (I'm guilty too). As educators it is really important that we inform our students about the danger of internet information. Companies can control what we see and it is all to easy to spread false but credible looking information. Really liked what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie,

    You bring up some good points, and I liked how you recognize some of the dangers the internet can pose students as well as adults.

    My hope for you is that with this class, you will see the value of using technology not just as a consumer, but as a producer, harnessing the opportunity to show your learning using a variety of mediums that will translate to your future classroom and lessons you design for your students.

    Make sure that images and font are large enough to be easily seen (you would need to increase both with this post.)

    20/20

    ReplyDelete

Purposeful Podcasts

         Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular in today’s professional world as a tool for personal and professional growth.  Since po...